6.02.2008

Deadlines

I remember the euphoric feelings when my school semesters and fieldworks were over... at last, no more papers, no more due dates, no more deadlines hanging over me. How untrue. After missing work on Friday due to general misery, I had a large stack of paperwork that needed to be done last week waiting for me this morning. Co-signing COTA notes, weekly progress notes, and I didn't even begin to address the mounting discharges. And then, I arrive home, only to have a Sensory Profile School Companion that must be written up tonight, as I have put it off for 2 weeks and I am seeing the patient again tomorrow. I was really not excited about that as the teacher rated the child as overresponsive in EVERY area measured, so I had to add in a bunch of disclaimers and my usual tidy 1-page summary became a 3 page monstrosity.

So, the homework still exists. But I am a little excited to see this child again as he has dyspraxia (by my diagnosis- is that good enough?) and I will be testing him on our fancy Balance Master machine with assist of PT. The Balance Master is like a WiiFit for professionals who want statistical output. I haven't used it yet, and hope that he will be cooperative and that it will be fun and revealing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Have enjoyed reading through your blog tonight and had to comment on this posting.

I teach at an OT school in New Zealand and am often amused when students reflect similar comments to yours! I know when I graduated I thought that I'd never have to read a textbook again - how weird was that!

I think all the written work we do as undergrads/postgrads prepares us for the real world of paperwork!

Cheryl said...

I suppose I should be thankful that I get to use my writing skills on the job. It's also nice when I get confirmation (from a teacher, doctor, or other therapist) that someone is actually reading those notes I spend so much time poring over.

Unknown said...

Hey Cheryl - I see that I need to read your blog more often and add it into my list of OT blogs. Your blog is a great resource for students, but also a model of what occupational therapists might achieve.

Do you follow through other OT blogs?