7.05.2008

Books books, they're good for your head

Continuing education money is a perk that you cannot expect at a job, but if you do have it, it is quite enjoyable! We are trying to use up a portion of this money before the budget is reevaluated so that we can keep this great perk for years to come. So, my great SPD course earlier in the year was gratis, and now, I'm getting some great books to add to my library. The only downside with buying educational materials w/o a course is that you get no credit from NBCOT or your state association for the hours you're trying to better yourself. Not that I know of, anyway.
Sharing Time!! (books linked to their stores)

Autism: A Comprehensive Occupational Therapy Approach
This book is a lesson on why you should not sell your textbooks. I had accidentally left this on my half.com inventory, and then I wound up working in peds. Seriously, you never know what you're going to do with life and those books do come in handy. (Being an AOTA member will save you mucho dolores on this one)

Teaching Motor Skills to Children with Cerebral Palsy
This book was written for parents and professionals, and was quite economical. It does have a PT focus, so there's more information about gross motor skills than any UE activity. It does have good pictures of stretching and I'm hoping to learn more about the general progression of kids w/ CP. Also, I am going to trade w/ my PT buddy to read her new book about treatment ideas for kids w/ Autism.


Stroke Rehabilitation: A function-based approach
This is a textbook, and upon my scanning of it today, it has lots of evidenced based reports and good ideas for OT stroke treatment. I find both stroke and SCI to be areas that I would love to know more about, and I do see a fair number of CVA pts nowadays. I don't want to focus all my work on peds, and I'm hoping that this will be a helpful resource.

Observations Based on Sensory Integration Theory
This video/manual set came highly recommended by Delanah Honaker when I went to her course on SPD. It was out of my price range when paying out of pocket, but this is what I think CE money is really for. Since I lack the luxary of a pediatric fieldwork experience, mentor, rubber wall to bounce ideas off of, I am hoping to get some good learning from this so that I can improve my practice and understand SI in practice better.

No comments: