9.20.2008

OT WebGems- Aging Edition

HOO-HA, I am nearing the end of my blog-related bookmarks (for now)! This edition focuses on those who are lucky enough to become elderly, with one crazy note thrown in at the end.

Architectural Updates- I have some links about aging-in-place and universal design on the sidebar, as it was the original reason I got into OT. Here's a retirement community that has incorporated some of those principles to help their residents live more independently.

Retirement Communities- The later pages in this article offer some great questions to ask before choosing an over-55, assisted living, or continuing care facility.

Balance- Here's some info and products to improve balance at any age! We should probably all start now, since our proprioceptive system starts declining around age 12.

Cognitive-
As high tech pushes devices to boost your cognition and keep your mind sharp, people continue to wonder about what long-term effects all those crosswords, sudokus, and Brain Age games have.

Unrelated-- I saw a video of this car on Disaboom, and had to share. I am not a claustrophobic person, but this makes the Smart Car look spacious. However, I support the idea that a wheelchair user could have relatively easy access to their local area. I see a disproportionate number of pedestrians along high-speed roadways driving scooters than walking, and an enclosed way would be safer. I give you- Kenguru! Arriving in England soonish, US... another 15 years?

No comments: