9.10.2009

My First WiiHab

So our hospital has a Wii (actually 2, one lives solely in the burn unit) which I have thought was interesting since I didn't know how well it could be used in acute care. I missed the inservice but figured I could go ahead with my session since I have a Wii at home and am somewhat familiar with the games.

The way I see it, for the Wii to be used in acute care, you have to have a client who is sticking around for a few days, has the required cognitive capabilities to understand the system, and has deficits that can be addressed using the system. We currently have 3 games- the basic sports game, Wii Play, and Wii Fit. The first client that I had who would have been appropriate (since the program starting) was a cute little lady who was extrememly active prior to her stroke- walking 3 miles a day. Her only deficits were upper-level balance issues, but I was off after her evaluation so I didn't get to implement that plan. But I was able to use the Wii with another lady on the stroke floor.
Sorry the case study isn't more in-depth, but several weeks have passed now...

Ms Z was getting an extensive neuro workup for several symptoms, including visual dysfunctions, L-sided paralysis, mental status changes, seizures. Original possible diagnoses were PRES vs an unlikely conversion disorder. Her visual problems were very odd, starting out where she could only see shadows, then she could identify broad swaths of color and light/dark, to where her acuity was markedly improved at which time the optometrist diagnosed a L hemianopsia. She also had a L hemiparesis. As our sessions progressed, she regained hand movement progressing to intermittant elbow and shoulder control. She also progressed to verbal cues only for supine to sit, and was then able to transfer to a chair with min assist of 2, needing her L knee blocked. Once we could transfer her to an appropriate chair, she could come down to our gym to use the Wii.

I thought she would be a good Wii candidate since her controlled ROM of the LUE was intermittant. I hoped that given a distracting BUE task that the control might become more consistent. This was my plan on Friday... when I came in on Monday we had to cut the session short due to LP, and then on Tuesday Ms Z had full ROM of her LUE! Not from anything I did, but just part of the strange waxing and waning of symptoms. She then had some RUE control deficits. I decided that since her coordination was still off that the Wii session could continue. We worked on Wii boxing to address standing balance, endurance, and UE ROM control. Our first day, Ms Z was unable to tolerate a full "round" vs the computer opponent (3 minutes) while standing. However, she persevered while seated and did complete 2 bouts. Our second day, she was able to complete a full bout while standing (10 minutes in parallel bars with contact guard support from PT). We then added in additional challenges, using different punches (inspired by TurboJam), and trying to better facilitate weight shifting both front-back and right-left.

I was happy with how the boxing activity worked out... my next session was going to be more visually-spatial based and require more refined isometric control of the shoulder, but Ms Z was discharged that night to rehab. Even though her initial reaction to the wii was "this doesn't apply to me because I do not play sports," she did get very active and involved in the activity, progressing on performance components she needed for independence. The novelty of the activity was also good since she was getting frustrated with an extended hospital stay. It was a worthwhile therapy experience for both of us.

I feel that I learned a lot from these sessions, and I went home and reevaluated my wii games (sports and play... don't have a wii fit). That brought me to a gigantic list of things that could be better about the games from a therapy perspective. It is a LONG list, I will share it hopefully this week and would love to hear others' thoughts on using the Wii in rehab. For more thoughts on the subject, you can check out a blog dedicated to WiiHab here.

No comments: